Sunday, September 25, 2011

Caterpillars

Today was the picture perfect fall day, warm in the sun and cool in the shade.

A long walk down the old railway track and I found a couple of caterpillars.  I had met a biologist earlier this year that told me Monarch butterflies only lay their eggs on milkweed plants.  Apparently the milkweed has something in it that keep predators away.  Nature is truly amazing.

I am really impressed by the shadows of the caterpillar's hairs on the leaf.


Nikon D700, Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100, 1/640 sec @ f4, ISO 200

This little ant walked into the shot and provides some scale to the image.

I am not entirely sure if this is a monarch butterfly caterpillar or not.  But it is on a milkweed plant.


Nikon D700, Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100, 1/125 sec @ f4, ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment