Wednesday, November 9, 2011

More Amazing Architecture

Tower Bridge, compared to today's massive, steel and glass, rapidly built, gravity defying, cold office buildings, doesn't seem to very impressive.  At least from a height perspective that is.

However, the beauty of the stone mason's artistry (almost a lost art) still amazes me.

I was a bricklayer for nine (9) years after I finished my education, when my educational degree didn't pay as much as manual labour.

And just to be clear for every "real" stone mason out there, please note that I said I was a bricklayer and not a "stone mason".  There is a huge difference.

It would be like comparing Leonardo da Vinci to a house painter.  Are they both painters, ... yes but on a different level.

Started in 1886, and finished eight years later, the total cost of construction was £1,184,000 during that time period.

Which coverts to "I couldn't possibly afford it" in today's money whether British Pounds Sterling or otherwise.


Nikon D700, AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm, 1/125 sec at f/8, ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment